Monday, January 29, 2018

30 Days of Poems: Secret

There is something going down in my life that moved me to write this poem. Its about something that happened a long time ago that recent events have reminded me of. So I wrote it down. I may revised it later but I feel the need to get it out there.

Secret

I have friend whom I call brother once confessed to me a terrible secret,
that he was once apart of a tribe who hunt and kill my people in the name of the king.
He showed me that terrifying banner, scarlet, sable, and argent
danced across my eyes and chilled me to the bone.
He kept it hidden in a dark chest, a shameful reminder of what he once was,
a bloodied, wicked threat to my life.

He ran his fingers along my rose cap,
his eyes full of regret.
I thought for a moment of all who came before me,
all who passed to the grave.
Covered in red, darkening their caps, all at the whim of a King.

Perhaps it was the look in his eyes.
That I held no value for myself, perhaps it was a sign?
Perhaps I had come upon a moment of grace.
For it was forgiveness I gave him that night.

Not a fleeting pass to keep the peace.
Nor a flagrant lie.

Upon my word I pledged forgiveness, upon a mid-winter sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment